Driving after Brexit

At the moment, UK driving licences may be used to drive anywhere in the EEA (this is the EU plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway).

If Theresa May’s withdrawal agreement is passed, UK licences will still be valid for visiting EEA countries.

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, then the situation gets complicated.

The government will try to do deals allowing UK licences to be recognised for visits to Europe. But if it doesn’t manage to do so, then drivers will need an International Driving Permit (IDP) for all EEA countries except the Republic of Ireland. IDPs can be bought at Post Offices for £5.50. You may also need to carry your UK driving licence.

There are three different types of IDP, known as the 1926, 1949 and 1968 IDPs – the numbers refer to the dates of the conventions on road traffic that established them.

  • The 1926 IDP will be needed for drivers wanting to visit Liechtenstein
  • The 1949 permit covers Spain, Iceland, Malta and Cyprus
  • The 1968 permit allows driving in all other EU countries, plus Norway and Switzerland

There will also be changes to the types of IDP you need to be able to drive in countries outside the EEA. For example, if you want to visit Turkey by car before 29 March, you will need a 1949 IDP – but after 29 March, you will need a 1968 IDP. You can find the full list of which IDP you need on this page.

IDPs apply only for visiting other countries. The government has said that if you are a UK licence-holder living in another EU country, then you need to exchange your UK licence for a licence issued by an EU country, before the UK leaves. If you wait until after the UK leaves, then you may need to take another driving test.

EU and EEA licenses will continue to be accepted in the UK for visitors and residents.

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, you will also need to get a Green Card from your insurer to prove your car is covered.

The Green Card is only proof of a minimum level of third-party cover – it will not necessarily match the level of cover that you pay for in the UK. Check with your insurer to find out what level of cover you will get.

Taking your car to the EEA without a Green Card will be against the law.

The government recommends that you have a GB sticker on your car, even if you also have a GB symbol on your number plate.

You’ll need to carry your V5C log book with you if you own the car. If it is a car you have hired or leased then you will need to get a VE103 form to show you have permission to take it out of the UK.

Perhaps most inconveniently, if you are involved in a road traffic accident in an EEA country after a no-deal Brexit, then you may need to make a claim against the responsible driver or their insurer in the country where the accident happened.

And that could involve bringing the claim in the local language.




For the full article please click here to read the BBC News link 



New Trailer Plate Laws, S-P-M is ready for you

When it comes to being ready for the new ‘Trailer Plate Laws’, we leave the competition trailing !

From 28 March 2019, it will be a requirement for certain trailers travelling abroad to be registered with DVLA. When registered, trailers must display a trailer registration number plate as well as the registration number plate of the towing vehicle.

Registration plates must be supplied by registered number plate suppliers.

Rest assured, we are pleased to announce that S-P-M is ready;  the software on our patented Compact number plate system is already capable to produce these new trailer plates.

Please ring 0113 833 0407 to place your stock orders for this new requirement, the demand has already started and becomes law at the end of March 2019.

For the full details please click on this link


ARE YOU READY? – New changes on Trailer Plate Laws

Important information on trailer registration plates for registered number plate suppliers

For information regarding new trailer plate laws please click this link


For information on preparing to drive in the EU after Brexit please click this link


From 28 March 2019, it will be a requirement for certain trailers travelling abroad to be registered with DVLA. To give customers enough time to register, we aim to launch the service in January 2019. When registered, trailers must display a trailer registration number plate as well as the registration number plate of the towing vehicle.

Registration plates must be supplied by registered number plate suppliers. You may be asked to supply these plates so you will need the following information.

Trailer registration plate specifications

The trailer registration mark will consist of one letter followed by seven numbers. They will be grouped as one letter and three numbers followed by a group of four numbers, for example A123 4567 in this layout.

The plate should use the standard font and have the following characteristics:

  • characters should be 64 millimetres in height
  • have a width of 44 millimetres, except for the character representing the number ‘1’ and letter ‘I’, which must have a width of 10 millimetres
  • have a stroke width of 10 millimetres
  • be separated by 10 millimetres from any other characters within a group, groups of characters in the registration mark must be separated from one another by a space of 5 millimetres vertically
Important information on trailer registration plates
  • the width of the margin between the top or lateral edges of the registration plate and any part of a character used to display a registration mark on it must be at least 5 millimetres
  • the width of the margin between the bottom edge of the registration plate and any part of a character used to display a registration mark on it must be at least 13 millimetres

The trailer registration plate must have solid black characters on a white background. No material, other than a registration mark, may be displayed on a registration plate except for information that identifies the manufacturer of the registration plate.

Questions and answers

What is the trailer registration scheme and why has it been introduced?

Trailer registration scheme is a DVLA service for certain UK trailers used internationally. It is being introduced as part of the UK’s ratification of the 1968 Vienna Convention and to address the issues already faced by customers using UK trailers abroad.

Will every trailer in the UK be registered?

No, registration will be mandatory for all commercial use trailers travelling internationally that weigh over 750kg in gross weight. Registration is also mandatory for non-commercial use trailers that travel internationally and weigh over 3,500kg in gross weight.

How should the trailer registration plate be displayed?

The trailer registration plate must be fixed to the rear of the trailer in a position that is as far as reasonably practicable from the position of the towing vehicle registration plate. If it is not possible to fix a registration plate on the rear of the trailer, a registration plate must be fixed to both sides of the trailer and in such positions that in normal daylight the characters of the registration mark are easily distinguishable from either side of the trailer.

Do I need to register separately to become a supplier of trailer registration plates?

No, as long as you are a registered number plate supplier you will be able to supply trailer registration plates as well as vehicle registration plates.

I do not have all the necessary components to produce trailer registration plates. Where can I get them?

Your current supplier should be able to provide you with the vehicle registration plate components or equipment needed to produce trailer registration plates.

What documentation do I check?

As with vehicle registration plates customers will need to provide a document to confirm their identity and a document proving their entitlement to use the registration number. The list of acceptable documents can be found on the INF136. For trailer registration plates, customers should be able be able to provide the ‘UK trailer registration certificate’ (VTRC) or a ‘Trailer number plate authorisation certificate’ (eV948/2).

Is it compulsory to supply trailer registration plates?

No, it is down to each RNPS to decide if they will offer trailer registrations plates. DVLA will advise customers to check with their chosen supplier beforehand to ensure they are available.

Are RNPS required to keep a sales record for trailer registration plates sold?

You must keep records of number plate sales for three years and show them upon request to the police, DVLA, Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) and Trading Standards enforcement officers if they ask to see them. A sample template of a sales record can be found on the INF195/2.


SPM-UK @ Automechanika 2018, NEC

SPM-UK Ltd @ Automechanika NEC UK
Automechanika NEC UK

Automechanika is the UK’s leading exhibition for the automotive aftermarket and vehicle production sector, and this year’s 2018 event was another big success, as well as a record year.

After a successful and enjoyable three days at the show, we are now busy following up all the leads and interest we received from visitors.

We would like to thank customers old and new who visited our stand. Don’t worry if you missed us, you can always catch us at Automechanika Frankfurt in September. Please click below for their weblink




In 2016 S-P-M Ltd achieved its own British Standard Certification, which was independently tested by AWL a certified QKAS accredited laboratory. S-P-M Plates not only meet the current BSAU145d but also passed the standard for the proposed BSAU145e Draft. We will update customers if and when the new legislation is passed by law.



Do you prefer to drill & screw your number plates? Stick them using adhesive pads?
There is no wrong or right way, its purely a personal preference. Whichever you prefer S-P-M have the perfect solution.

High quality stainless steel self tapping screws complete with a variety of coloured caps, bagged in 100s for your convenience.

High quality double sided mounting tape consisting of weatherproof foam. Available in rolls of 1000 for the high volume customer or in handy boxes of 150, pre-cut for your convenience in strips of three. All our mounting tape is rigorously tested and renowned for its super high intensity bond.

For more information please get in touch.